Thursday, September 10, 2009

My Digital Past - My First Digital Camera



I've been shooting digital for a long time - since early 1996 and I've accumulated a lot of digital photos since then. The picture at the left was one of the first images shot using my digital camera in March of 1996. The only reason I know when it was taken is because that was all the information that was recorded on digital photo files back then - the date the file was created. The camera I used was a Kodak DC40 (photo at top of page) - a "state of the art" consumer digital camera with these impressive features: photos at less than 1 megapixel. No LCD screen. No compactflash card. And it could hold a whopping 40 photos at a time - max. Downloads took roughly 1/2 hour via a cable connected from the camera to my computer and if at any point during the download process something went wrong, you had to start all over again. It wasn't pretty, but it was the beginning of what we're all experiencing today in digital photography. The cost of the camera was roughly $800. I bought in New York and I remember thinking it was a good deal at the time. Things really have come a long way.

(In case you're wondering who's in the shot above, from left to right - Mike Peer, Dan O'Neill, John Phillips and me, Eric Jensen. Photo above right is of an Iris in our backyard in Rockville, MD in the spring of 1996. Both shots were taken with the Kodak DC40.)

Next Post: My Digital Past - My First Upgrade

No comments:

Post a Comment